Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Common Moss Rose

Old Garden Roses
 
Common moss rose, cabbage rose and according to
Lois Hole's rose favorites , the Egyptian rose.

In the BOTANICA'S POCKET ROSES , the cabbage rose is said to have originated from the Netherlands, circa 1596.

Wherever it came from, it's one of my favourites.
Only one flush a year, but with pruning can last several more weeks. Though not picky about soil, it suffers from mildew if not watered properly (soaker hoses are best) and needs good air circulation.

Got my first plant 18 years ago.
An heirloom from my husband's side of the family.
The first was planted in his grandmother's garden c. 1930.
I intend to keep the tradition going.

The thorny stems are lax and bow down under the weight of the flowers.
Thick gloves and long sleeves are a must for weeding and pruning.

It may look delicate, but this is one though rose.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know what you think.