Sunday, April 7, 2013

Still Reading

About Dogs

Since adopting Molly from a local SPCA, I've been reading a lot about dogs.
Molly is a very energetic Border Collie that was abused for the first 4 months of her life.
In the first weeks she was extremely nervous about just everything.
At first I wasn't quite sure how to handle her.

A friend loaned me her copy of
Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life by Cesar Millan
and this started my journey in reeducating myself about handling dogs.

Next I read The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia McConnell Phd. This book made me realize how little I understood my dogs. I first read about clicker training for dogs in the first book. So I did a bit of research and found a great book;
 Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
This book is a good start but I needed more.

 Next came: The Power of Positive Dog Training Great help but I needed something else before I continued.

 Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out: Training Crazy Dogs from Over the Top to Under Control
This book helped specifically to calm her down when she lost controls of her emotions. Then I could go back to the previous book which I reread when needed.

Now I could never return to the old methods. But don't take my word for it, check out Use Your Clicker blog. This blog inspired me to give it a try. You will love the videos of Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know what you think.