Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Reviews

About Bad Reviews

Every day, I visit the Amazon website searching for more books and read reviews.
This morning I was surprised by the negative reviews for The Hypnotist
by the writing couple, Lars Kepler of Sweden.
I consider this book one of the best I've read last year.
I wonder if maybe they read the wrong edition.

I'm fluent in both French and English and once as an experiment, I read a short story by Stephen King translated into French.
I hated it.
Anyone familiar with his work can tell you that Mr. King has a very distinctive author's voice.
This was lost in the translation.

Another thing I noticed, if given a choice, when I read a translation, I will choose the UK edition.
The Hypnotist is offered in five to accommodate their reading audience .
If you prefer American English and read the UK version, chances are, you will not be able to enjoy the book, no matter how good the original version is.

Amazon lets you read a preview chapter: this is a great way to get the feel of the story.
This is my prefered method of selecting my next read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know what you think.