Friday, July 10, 2009

Will Goodwin clematis

Clematis

Will Goodwin (see photo) survives the winter months in my 4b zone with little protection.
In the fall, after the grounds freezes and all the critters have found winter homes, I cover the base of my clematis with straw.
I do not prune until spring.
This particular clematis flowers on both new and old wood.
The blooms on the old wood are larger.

I do add compost again during the growing period.
The clematis fertilizer is applied only once in spring before the blooming starts.
This one is in full sun all day.
The soil is rich and drains easily.

Read more in the Encyclopedia If you click on the hybridizer's name you will learn more about the Pennells and Sons nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know what you think.